Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pain and Grief

   This post is on a not so fun subject but a very necessary subject.  It's the issue of pain and grieving in adoption.  Adoption is beautiful yes but is also full of pain and grief. I know we hear those words and think run, run far away!  But you don't want to run far away; the beauty of adoption is that it is a redemptive story. So we need to walk through the pain and grief so that the LORD can bring beauty from ashes.

    Grief for an older child is probably pretty obvious right?  They lost the only family they ever knew.  It may have been broken and abusive.  Many of their basic needs may not have been met.  But they lost their mother and their father.  One thing I think many people don't realize or think about is that a little newborn goes through the same loss.

     Our little one grew in his mothers belly, he listened to her voice and heart everyday, and he heard his fathers voice everyday.  She birthed him.  From inside her belly he went onto her chest.  And then within 24 hours she was gone.  I know it isn't a conscious loss but even just typing that out as his mother my heart aches for him.  This hurt is a part of the beauty of his story but none the less it is a part of his story.  When he gets older I know the questions will come "mommy why didn't I grow in your belly?"  Mommy "why couldn't I stay with my first mommy?"  And who knows what else.  We could sluff it off with "you grew in our heart and you are right where God planned for you to be."  While these things are true, they would deny the true heart wrenching loss he experienced.

   The other thing about this is that I as his mother experienced some huge losses in this.  He didn't grow in my belly; I lost those 9 months of bonding and love together and he never nursed at my breast.  And when I first met him my voice was strange to him; he didn't know me and i didn't know him.  It was love at first sight don't get me wrong.  But I still missed out on part of his life.

   So this leaves us with two choices pretend none of this happened and cover it up with pretty words and clever sayings.  Or we can face the pain and the grief head on acknowledging it, crying over it, and handing it over to the LORD, so he can make beauty from ashes.


1 comment:

  1. Oh I love you! And I love little man. And I almost cry knowing that there IS pain from losing his first mom... and dad. Even though you and Dustin are the BEST parents from him, I'm so grateful that you will let him journey through the pain. No clever saying will ever be enough.

    ReplyDelete