Friday, November 30, 2012

A broken system full of brokenness

   So Today is November 30th the last day of national adoption month.  I have blogged almost everyday and today will be my final blog in the series on Adoption.  Today I want to deal with the call to foster care and adoption (international, domestic, and any other way it can happen).  This is a ministry I feel many are called to, yet few answer the call.

   Often times we think or say "It is a broken system full of corruption, how can I make a difference?"  Well you can be the one that isn't corrupt.  If it is international adoption you can make sure that your child isn't a trafficked child.  You can do this by making sure your agency is upstanding and does due diligence some people even hire their own personal private investigator.  If you are going to adopt domestically through the foster care system you can be that safe family.  You can be the one that stands up for what is right.  The LORD never promised that when he called us into ministry it would be safe.  In fact it is just the opposite.  We are living a life devoted to the LORD.  It isn't comfortable or safe when you love with your whole heart, but it is full of purpose and blessings.  In Roman times unwanted children were left to die in fields and on the side of roads, Christians adopted these children and at the risk of death.  I think that the risks we are taking are far smaller then some of our ancestors.

In response to fear we should turn to God's word for answers.

Isaiah 41:10  So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for i am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous hand.

Isaiah 41:13  For I am the LORD your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you Do Not Fear; I will  help you.

Isaiah 43:1-2 But now, this is what the LORD says he who created you, O Jacob, he formed you, O Israel: "Fear not for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.  When you pass through the waters , I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers they will not sweep over you.  when you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.

Do you believe these promises?  If you do then the call should not bring up fear, but anticipation for what the LORD will do through you.

International or domestic you are dealing with a broken system because this is a broken world.  Don't run the other way because the system is broken.  The children in the system need you. They need love, they need hope, they need healing.  Brokenness should draw you in because the answer to brokenness lives in you and through you.

I could put all the verses that talk about defending the fatherless and taking care of the orphan but you already know that list is endless.  So I will just put one verse up that I think sums it all up.

James 1:27a  Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress...

I was at an adoption prayer group the other day and two ladies shared what their husbands said about adopting "Our lives are too easy, our lives are not meant to be easy."  I thought this was such a neat way to look at life.  Why are we always looking to make our lives easier?  The LORD did not call us to an easy life. He did not call us to a life free from hurts. What He did promise was to redeem and bring beauty from ashes.  He also promised to be with us as we walked through trials.

The orphan issue can be overwhelming when we look at the numbers, so don't look at the numbers anymore just resolve to make a difference in just one orphans life.  I challenge you to just take in one orphan if you are feeling called.  Maybe it will be through foster care, or maybe you will travel to Ethiopia or Russia.  It may be a baby or a teenager.  Maybe you know a teenager who may not be up for "adoption" in the legal sense but you know they are lacking a family.  There are so many ways this can look.

I hope this song will encourage you to not let fear overcome.  You can adopt not because you have the ability or the time but because the LORD will equip you.  "The God of angel armies is always by your side."



John 14:18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

What is the LORD calling you to do?





No comments:

Post a Comment