Saturday, January 23, 2016

What's your part?

   Last night I posted a blog post about how the church can inadvertently play into the sexual abuse narrative.  You can find that post here preparing-our-girls-to-be-abused-when.html .  What was said in this article has been swirling in my head for a good decade.  How do the words we use as the church and a society as a whole play right into the agenda of abusers?

   As parents to 3 beautiful daughters and 2 handsome boys Dustin and I decided we should really talk about how we will talk to our girls about modesty and their bodies.  Because how we approach it will not only effect them but it will effect our boys as well.

   Let's start with what we often hear in the church "Don't dress that way you don't want to make boys stumble."  Now I don't want my girls running around with their breasts hanging out and their butt barely covered, but I also don't ever want them to think that if someone assaults them it is their fault.  Women are sexually assaulted in parkas and short skirts at the same rate.  In fact most sexual assault are perpetrated by someone the woman already knows.  It wasn't the clothes she wore, or the party she went to.  What I can tell you is that's exactly what her abuser told her was the reason he had to assault her.  "you're too pretty"  you're too sexy"  "why did you wear that dress it made me want you.  You can't just leave me like this that would be teasing me."
   
   As a family we have decided to be more concerned with our daughters hearts.  To raise them to know that they are beautiful inside and out.  That their outward beauty is a reflection of their heart.  Because if we raise young ladies and young men to be concerned about their character the rest will follow.  If we raise them to view themselves as beloved sons and daughters of the LORD they will know where their worth lies.  And if they know where their worth lies they will treat others with the same respect, love, and dignity.

Now I would like to change our focus and look at our society at large.  This isn't just happening in the church it is happening everywhere.  I remember hearing some of the defense arguments recently for a rape case at a boarding school.  They said things like "well she sent him sexy messages" or "she texted and said she wanted to have sex the other day".  That reminds me of an awesome video about consent that can be seen here :


   Now on the subject of consent I would like to talk about how the world of women's health is also playing a role in the narrative of consent.  I was a practicing doula for about 5 years and now I am an inactive doula who is still involved in the world of birth.  There was something I began to notice time and time again at births.  The doctor or nurse would come in and say I am going to check you now.  Now if you don't know what "checking" someone is it is a cervical dilation check.  In other words they stick their hand inside of you to see if your cervix is dilated.  While well intentioned we just provided further training to accept physical touch without being asked for permission. When we know that a conservative estimate puts us at 1 in 4 women being sexually assaulted it is insane that we don't ask women may I check you and wait for a response.  

   I hope the picture is becoming clear that our society as a whole has been unknowingly supporting abusers narratives and demeaning women.  As the Church representing Christ we should be leading the way in changing this narrative and changing the way we speak to and about women.


Let's make a conscious effort to not feed the lies of the enemy and to speak truth into this world through our words and our actions.


4 comments:

  1. Anastasia, you did a great job! Thanks for pointing out that medical providers should be more respectful when checking. I don't think I have really thought much about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anastasia, you did a great job! Thanks for pointing out that medical providers should be more respectful when checking. I don't think I have really thought much about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog. I love everything you shared here. As someone who felt very violated by my gionocologist the first time I was examined I whole heartedly agree with you. Even outside the world of birth Young girls are expected to go in for medical checks and that can be uncomfortable for anyone (especially if your doctor is male), but when a medical professional fails to explain the steps it entails and you are a virigin it is shocking, scary, and violating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog. I love everything you shared here. As someone who felt very violated by my gionocologist the first time I was examined I whole heartedly agree with you. Even outside the world of birth Young girls are expected to go in for medical checks and that can be uncomfortable for anyone (especially if your doctor is male), but when a medical professional fails to explain the steps it entails and you are a virigin it is shocking, scary, and violating.

    ReplyDelete